11.23.2009

new directions

Recently, I quit my 9-5 to work part time and focus on making art with the ultimate goal of applying to grad school for my masters in painting. It seems that with more free time comes fluidity that I'm not accustomed to. I'm working on trying to buckle down to follow all the little paths that interest me.

Figure painting is my number one obsession and what I plan to build my portfolio around. I started a painting of my friend Lacey, who was kind enough to come by, dress up and sit for me. Like most of my projects after I get about 1/2 way through them I realize a lot of things that I should have addressed in the beginning of the project are starting to make the project unravel. So, I'm back to square one with my Lacey painting. How do we try and realize whats going to be a real problem with our materials, our set up, our reference, etc. BEFORE it rears it's ugly head?

In other news while I want to continue to paint friends and interesting persons I've tentatively started to think about the possibility of a deeper body of work. While my friends and family portraits will concentrate more on color, design, pattern, technical ability and story telling I plan to work on a more personal project related to the major changes I have gone through within the past 6 months. It's difficult to look at yourself as an artist and say the only thing really grabbing my attention right now is myself and then try to explain that to people without sounding completely narcissistic.

I plan to make these paintings large scale at least 5' tall I only have one concept for the first but I'm hoping as I ask myself more questions, watch more Art 21's and talk to more artist friends that will help get the ideas going.

No comments: